Tuesday 26 March 2013

Barrage Balloon Anchors

One thing I failed to mention on my previous posts about the air-raid shelter in the War Memorial Park is the close proximity of a handful of barrage balloon anchors. The council have made a nice educational area around them including a display board that hints at the possibility that the nearby air raid shelter may have been used for storing the equipment required for these barrage balloons and the safety of the ground crew.


Note that the smaller cubes are modern additions for children to sit in this area etc. The barrage balloon anchors are the larger cubes. They are made of solid concrete and are obviously extremely heavy to be able to weigh down the huge balloons that would have flown above them. Being so heavy I suppose the council thought it a waste of resources to move them after the war ended. There are 3 located here. (note in the picture above the trees. This is where the shelter is located and highlights the closeness to the barrage balloons)


Each cube has metal rings attached to the side that I assume held the metal cables in place when operational. These are a great example of something left on the landscape after the war as I'm sure plenty of people have walked past them down the years without giving much thought to what they actually were, just accepting that they are there. It makes me wonder what else I have walked past, particularly when I was younger without realising its true purpose.


No comments:

Post a Comment